Why Cleansing is so Important
When establishing a dynamic and effective skincare routine, it’s important to nail the basics. With so many different products and ingredients available on the market nowadays, it can be easy to overlook the first and often, the most important step; cleansing.
Cleansing is so important and helps you to create a perfect, clean base. So let's lay the foundations for a healthy complexion with everything you need to know about cleansing and how to reveal soft, fresh skin.
Why cleansing is so important
While skipping your cleanse and jumping straight into bed after a long day can seem appealing, it really is worth setting aside five minutes, as cleansing is so important to:REMOVE BUILD UP
Cleansing is probably the most important step in any skin care routine, it’s vital to maintain good skin health. By cleansing the skin in the evening, you are essentially taking away the day. This process includes removing makeup and SPF, excess sweat, oil or dirt, dead skin cells and pollution from the skin, which in turn is reducing build up, and the likelihood of possible congestion and clogged pores.
PREP FOR WHAT’S NEXT
You’re also essentially preparing your skin for what’s to follow next. Any of your highly active serums, treatments, masks and moisturisers that you’re about to apply, will not be able to absorb into the skin properly and work effectively without a clean, fresh base to begin with.
How to properly cleanseCLEANSING TIPS
Here’s our top tips on how to properly cleanse to leave your skin feeling clean, comfortable and fresh ensuring your skin is ready for what’s to follow.
- We recommend two-three pumps of your chosen cleansing product to ensure maximum effectiveness.
- It’s important to be gentle with your skin. Take care not to scrub it too harshly.
- Always rinse with lukewarm water only and avoid hot water at all costs, as it can damage the skin and result in unwanted redness.
- Don’t over cleanse, as you risk stripping the skin of natural oils and creating an imbalance in the skin's healthy microbiome.
- Be sure to take your time, we recommend washing your face for at minimum of 60 seconds. So enjoy the mini face massage, all whilst knowing your skin is receiving a deeper, more effective clean.
- We recommend a double cleanse in the evening to effectively wash away makeup, excess oil and impurities with the first wash. Then your second wash will work to clean the skin’s surface and deep within the pores more effectively.
How to choose the right cleanser for you
Our top tip would be to search for a non stripping, gentle formulation that works to balance your skin. Why you might ask? We don’t want a cleanser that is too drying and removes the natural good oils found on our skin’s surface.
Another important consideration when selecting the right cleanser for you is to consider the importance of antibacterial ingredients within the cleanser. Ingredients like Aloe Vera, Panthenol and Niacinamide are well known for their anti-inflammatory properties and will help to soothe irritated, stressed, breakout prone skin.
Finally, we’re all about results with respect at Habitual Beauty, so our recommendation would be to look out for efficacious ingredients that are kind to both your skin and the environment.
The Habitual Beauty Balancing Cleanser is the perfect multi-purpose cleanser, it’s ideal for all skin types. The addition of Antioxidants and AHA’s to protect the skin from external stressors, and to provide a gentle exfoliation at the same time as a thorough cleanse.
Now we’ve identified that cleansing is so important and we’ve nailed step one, it’s time to feed your skin with essential nutrients to support your skin concerns, think about strengthening the skin barrier, targeting the signs of ageing all whilst nourishing and protecting your skin.
A potent serum is a great place to start and our Hydrating Serum is heaven sent, and filled with hard-working active ingredients. You’ve got this.